The Nuclear Option
Acme Fission / Fusion is proud to present the latest in Space Nuclear Fusion... err... Fission Power Systems (sorry, the name is confusing, and some of this marketing material seems to be miss printed). One thing is clear, though. If you need a more compact power system for some really power hungry parts you've got, or perhaps your solar pannels are starved for photons out past Duna, then maybe it's time you considered The Nuclear Option!
NOTE: This mod aims to be the KSP2 spiritual successor for Nertea's KSP1 Near Future Electrical mod. No code or meshes are reused from that mod, but the intent here is to fill the same basic need, delivering moderately realistic nuclear power options to feed those power hungry electrical engines. For now, all the reactors (both of them...) have "integral cooling", which really just means the devs have not yet implemented thermodynamics. Once they do, you can expect the reactors in this parts pack to generate some waste heat that you'll need to deal with. Until then, you're free to ignore that particular reality and substitute one of your own.
Source Code: GitHub Repo
Forum Thread: Forum Thread
- Download and extract BepInEx mod loader with SpaceWarp 1.4.0 or later (see link above) into your game folder and run the game, then close it. If you've done this before, you can skip this step. If you've installed the game via Steam, then this is probably here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2. If you complete this step correctly you'll have a BepInEx subfolder in that directory along with the following files (in addition to what was there before): changelog.txt, doorstop_config.ini, winhttp.dll
- Download and extract this mod into the game folder. From the TNO-x.x.x.zip file copy the BepInEx folder on top of your game's install folder. If done correctly, you should have the following folder structure within your KSP2 game folder: ...\Kerbal Space Program 2\BepInEx\plugins\SPARK.
- Optional: Download and install Lux's OAB Extensions (see link above). From the zip file copy the BepInEx folder on top of your game's install folder. If done correctly, you should have the following folder structure within your KSP2 game folder: ...\Kerbal Space Program 2\BepInEx\plugins\LuxsOABExtensions.
Or, make things even easier and just use CKAN!
Fission Power Systems
Compact, and built for either stackable 'In-line' or end-of-stack 'Open' configurations, these reactors are the answer to your high power needs even in photon-deficient space environments.
- FPS-60: Tiny, but mighty. The FPS-60 packs a lot into its Size XS (0.625m-class) frame. With this gadget on board, you'll have EC to spare, plus it doubles as a space heater for those long cold Duna nights. If you're not getting 60 FPS, then you need TNO!
- FPS-400: When you need some serious power generation in a handy Size Small package, then reach for the FPS-400! Designed as either a stackable 'In-line' or end-of-stack 'Open' module, the FPS-400 fits in easily with other 1.25m-class parts in your design - plus it has a handy popcorn setting! Isn't it time you opted for the Nuclear Option?
- FPS-1000: Designed exclusively for in-line applications, the FPS-1000 delivers MW-class power (1000 EC/s) in a compact 2.5m frame utilizing counter-rotating turbines for no net torque applied to your craft, but plenty of net EC! Check out the Roast and Broil settings! Isn't it time you opted for the Nuclear Option?
- FPS-2000: For our more serious customers in need of serious power (you're one, right?), we're proud to offer the FPS-2000. Available in either stackable 'In-line' or end-of-stack 'Open' configurations, there's sure to be one to fit your needs. Warranty void if used on Flambe setting... Isn't it time you opted for the Nuclear Option?
Stats for The Nuclear Option
Downloads over time
Downloads per version
New followers per day